Sport TR Bet
sports

Chad le Clos loses Cape Town home in fatal Sea Point fire

South African Olympic swimming champion Chad le Clos has lost his Cape Town home in a fire that claimed the life of his 93-year-old neighbour.

The blaze tore through the top floor of The Dorchester apartment building on High Level Road in Sea Point on Thursday evening, 30 July 2026.

The roof of the apartment block collapsed, while Le Clos said his home had been completely gutted and there was “nothing left to salvage”.

Neighbour dies in Sea Point fire

Le Clos’s long-time neighbour, Sam Strime, died in the fire.

Reports indicate that Strime warned a woman and baby to flee the building before returning inside to rescue his dog.

The dog survived, but Strime was overcome by smoke in his bathroom.

Chad le Clos was competing in Glasgow

Le Clos was in Glasgow, Scotland, competing in the 2026 Commonwealth Games when the fire broke out.

The previous evening, he won bronze in the men’s 4x100m medley relay. The result took his career total to 21 medals and made him the most decorated athlete in Commonwealth Games history.

Le Clos responds to fatal fire

Le Clos addressed the fire, the loss of his neighbour and the damage to other homes in a social media post.

“It has taken me a while to process this heartbreaking tragedy. On the evening of 30 July, amidst breaking the all-time Commonwealth record, a fire started in my apartment block, which quickly spread to my home. Sadly my home, where I’ve lived for more than a decade, burnt down and there is nothing left to salvage.

“It is with a heavy heart that I extend my deepest and most sincere condolences to the family and friends of my neighbour of many years, who tragically lost his life in this fire.

“No words can truly ease a loss like this, but I hope the family knows that the thoughts of an entire community are with them.

“To my fellow neighbours whose homes and lives have been severely affected by this fire, please know that you are not alone. This is a tight-knit community and it is in moments like these that we lean on one another.

“Together with my foundation, I have set up a dedicated campaign to solely assist my neighbours as they embark on a very difficult journey rebuilding. 100% of any donations raised will go solely to my neighbours, with the Chad le Clos Foundation managing the proceeds to ensure they are looked after. Any donation is appreciated, using the following link – https://pos.snapscan.io/qr/oqg0n5lr

“I also want to express my heartfelt thanks for the overwhelming support shown by family, friends and the broader community. Watching neighbours come together to help one another has been a genuine source of comfort amid the tragedy.

“Finally, thank you to the Fire Department, first responders, SAPS and all emergency services personnel who responded so swiftly and worked tirelessly through the night.”

Foundation launches campaign for affected neighbours

Le Clos said his foundation had established a dedicated campaign to help neighbours whose homes and lives were affected by the fire.

According to his post, all donations will go to the affected residents, with the Chad le Clos Foundation managing the proceeds.

He also thanked the fire department, first responders, SAPS, emergency services, family, friends and the wider community for their support.

Read Inbound SA online

The post Chad le Clos loses Cape Town home in fatal Sea Point fire appeared first on InBound South Africa.

Source originale: inboundsa.com →