Sport TR Bet
sports

EG Jansen: Racist remarks sparked brawl

EG Jansen has provided its version of events following Saturday’s abandoned schools match against Menlopark in Pretoria.

The Noordvaal Cup clash between Menlopark and EG Jansen was called off after a brawl involving EG Jansen players and Menlopark old boys. Parents from both schools also reportedly became involved.

In a statement from governing body chairman Riaan van Aswegen, EG Jansen condemned the violence but alleged that the incident was sparked by racist abuse directed at its players.

“Violence, racism and any other form of unacceptable behaviour are fundamentally inconsistent with the school’s values, discipline and principles,” the school said.

According to EG Jansen, a group of Menlopark old boys had gathered behind the in-goal area.

The school said statements it had received alleged that alcohol was consumed and that racist remarks, including the K-word and comments that certain players “belong on a farm”, were directed at its black and coloured players.

EG Jansen further claimed that parents alerted a Menlopark teacher to the alleged abuse and requested that the group be moved, but that no action was taken.

The school also said it had received a written statement from a parent alleging she was spoken to “in very crude language” after reporting the matter.

According to EG Jansen, the situation escalated when one of its players was allegedly pulled over a fence and assaulted, prompting a physical altercation and intervention from parents “in an effort to protect their children”.

The school said it had requested CCTV footage from Menlopark to assist the investigation, but was informed that the incident had not been captured by the relevant camera.

MORE: Schools rugby incidents investigated

EG Jansen confirmed that the pupils involved had been identified and that internal disciplinary proceedings were under way.

It added that it was compiling a comprehensive report, including witness statements and other evidence, for submission to the Gauteng Department of Basic Education and would continue to cooperate with the ongoing investigation.

The post EG Jansen: Racist remarks sparked brawl appeared first on SA Rugby magazine.

Source originale: www.sarugbymag.co.za →